This is how to use the Touch Up Brush Essential Kit. Follow these instructions to achieve the best results using a Touch Up Brush Essential Kit.
The Touch Up Brush Essential Kit includes
You will need to provide all other items listed in the instructions below.
BEFORE YOU START
Before any touch up paint project, always test your color with the included test card. Apply the color and clearcoat onto the test card using the directions below for painting and finishing. Compare the color applied on the test card with the color on the vehicle to be painted. If the colors match, proceed with painting. If the colors do not match, stop and contact us immediately.
Paint is best applied in temperatures around 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not apply in direct sunlight.
PART 1 - Prepare the Surface: Cleaning, Sanding, Taping and Priming
Approximate time to complete*: 30-60 Minutes
What you need for PART 1:
- Soap and water
- Wax and grease remover
- Tape (optional)
- Clean the entire vehicle or part with soap and water to remove surface dirt. Make sure to rinse and dry the surface thoroughly.
- Prepare the surface to be repaired using sandpaper (see Sanding Instructions).
- Clean again with soap and water. Then remove any remaining contaminants by lightly wiping the area with a wax and grease remover. We recommend the TUD Wax and Grease Remover Wipe.
- Tape off the area to be painted. This will help protect the area around the scratch when you are sanding or applying paint.
- Assess the exposed areas of the damage. If the substrate is bare metal or plastic, you will need to apply a primer. We recommend TUD Brush Primer.
- If the area is already primed or not down to a bare substrate, you are ready to apply the first coat of color.
PART 2 - Paint the Surface
Approximate time to complete*: 30-40 Minutes
What you need for PART 2:
- Color (included in Essential Kit)
Only proceed with PART 2 once PART 1 has been completed.
- Shake well.
- Hold the container with the black brush cap pointing up. Twist cap to open container.
- Remove excess paint by lightly dragging the brush along the inside opening as you remove it from the container.
- Apply evenly over the damaged area. Allow to dry for 15 minutes. Do not apply paint to undamaged, existing paint.
- Repeat step 4 until the repair area is evenly and thoroughly covered, usually 2-3 coats. If your color is a tricoat, repeat step 4 using the applicator labeled “Midcoat”, also for 2-3 coats.
- Screw cap on tightly when finished. Make sure the cap is secured well to ensure proper storage of the brush before your next use.
PART 3 - Finish the Surface
Approximate time to complete*: 30-45 Minutes
What you need for PART 3:
- Clearcoat (included in Essential Kit)
Only proceed with PART 3 once PART 2 has been completed.
- Shake clearcoat well.
- Apply a light, even coat of clearcoat in the same manner used to apply color. The first coat should have thorough, even coverage. Allow to dry for 15 minutes.
- Repeat step 2 for up to 4 total coats. Do not exceed 4 coats.
- Clearcoat will be dry to handle within 30 minutes. Allow to dry for 48 hours before wetsanding, polishing, or waxing.
* Actual implementation times may vary